Some of history’s greatest inventions have come from a simple idea: Take two things that are great, and combine them into one.
There’s the smart phone, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the combination washer-dryer and now, pancake cereal.
The ingenious new breakfast creation, born from plenty of social media users who, at the moment, have nothing but time on their hands, is currently going viral on TikTok.
More than 12,000 people have shared videos using the hashtag “cerealpancakes” or “minipancakes” on the viral video platform, and several of those clips have hundreds of thousands of views.
The concept is fairly straightforward, and only requires two more ingredients than actual pancakes (hint: one of them is a bowl). But the results seemingly speak for themselves, with thousands of enthusiastic copycats popping up across social media in the past several weeks.
So are these bite-sized, spoonable pancakes really worth the hype? In The Know decided to give the recipe a try and find out.
Here’s how to make pancake cereal
It’s worth noting that this recipe can be made with basically any pancake batter — just be sure to collect any ingredients your mix requires. Beyond that, all you’ll need is a skillet, non-stick spray and a squeeze bottle, which can be made by emptying out any old container with a nozzle.
- Step 1. Make pancakes: Just follow your batter’s specific ingredients, mixing everything into a bowl.
- Step 2. Prepare to squeeze: Using a funnel if needed, pour the batter into your squeeze bottle.
- Step 3. Cook those minis: Heat a large skillet over the stove and coat with non-stick spray. Then, begin piping the pancakes onto the skillet as small, doughy dots.
- Step 4. Scrape and flip: Once the pancakes are cooked on one side, scrape them with a spatula and flip them to cook a few seconds longer. Then, transfer to a bowl.
- Step 5. Enjoy that cereal: Coat those little pancake bites in plenty syrup. Remember, this is replacing your milk, so don’t be afraid to go to town!
And there you have it: Double the breakfast inside one bowl of crispy, sugary sweet genius.
How to make pancake cereal♬ Sunday Best – Surfaces
If you liked this story, check out In The Know’s article on this hyperrealistic toilet paper cake.
More from In The Know: