Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
News flash: There are not enough Black-owned beauty brands sold at mainstream retailers. Even if we don’t have hard numbers, we see it every day while walking into beauty stores. There are a limited number of options from Black-owned businesses on shelves.
Since the rise of widespread protests condemning the systematic and historical police killings of Black Americans, social media has been shining a light on Black-owned retailers to support and champion. And while some major brands have pledged financial support to the Black Lives Matter movement and posted black squares on Instagram, many customers are demanding longer-term commitments.
Recently, Aurora James, founder of the luxury fashion brand Brother Vellies, took to Instagram and suggested that major retailers start devoting 15 percent of their shelf space to Black-owned products — and customers have watched to see who will summon the call. The ask is now known as the 15 Percent Pledge.
“Black people in the U.S. make up nearly 15 percent of the population. So, we are calling on major retailers to commit a minimum of 15 percent of their shelf to Black-owned businesses,” the 15 Percent Pledge website reads.
To keep the conversation going, here are 13 Black-owned beauty brands that are already found at some of our most shopped-at beauty retailers: Sephora, Ulta and Nordstrom. Shop them now and support a Black-owned beauty brand:
- Shop: B. Well 100mg CBD + Arnica Flower Soothing Skin & Scalp Oil, $48
- Shop: Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfood Mask, $36
- Shop: Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo, $42
- Shop: Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo, $24
Shop Briogeo at Nordstrom here.
- Shop: MatteTrance Lipstick, $38
- Shop: Mothership VII Eyeshadow Palette – Divine Rose Collection, $125
- Shop: Sublime Perfection Foundation, $68
Shop Pat McGrath Labs at Sephora here.
3. Fenty Beauty
- Shop: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer, $19
- Shop: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Match Stix Matte Skinstick, $25
- Shop: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Hydrating Longwear Foundation, $35
Shop Fenty Beauty at Sephora here.
- Shop: Instabake 3 in 1 Concealer, $20
- Shop: Coffee & Cocoa Bronzer Palette, $38
- Shop: Wake & Bake Face Oil, $28
Shop Beauty Bakerie at Ulta here.
- Shop: The Saharan Eyeshadow Palette, $20
- Shop: The Magic Mini Eyeshadow Palette, $25
- Shop: I Am Magic Foundation, $20
Shop Juvia’s Place at Ulta here.
6. Adwoa Beauty
Shop Adwoa Beauty at Sephora here.
- Shop: Turmeric Tonic Sachets for Skin Glow + Debloat, $22
- Shop: Golde Cacao Turmeric Tonic for Skin Glow + Destress, $29
Shop Golde at Sephora here.
8. Uoma Beauty
- Shop: Double Take Contour Stick, $40
- Shop: Stay Woke Luminous Brightening Concealer, $25
- Shop: Allure Black Magic Color Palette, $44
Shop Uoma Beauty at Ulta here.
Shop Pattern Beauty at Ulta here.
Shop Shani Darden Skin Care at Sephora here.
11. Kreyòl Essence
- Shop: Haitian Black Castor Oil Goat + Coconut Growth Milk, $22
- Shop: Haitian Black Castor Oil – Original, $18
- Shop: Haitian Shea Butter, $22
Shop Kreyól Essence at Ulta here.
12. Mixed Chicks
Shop Mixed Chick at Ulta here.
13. KNC Beauty
- Shop: All Natural Infused Lip Mask- 5 Pack, $25
- Shop: All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask- 5 Pack, $25
Shop KNC Beauty at Sephora here.
If you liked this post, check out 14 Black-led LGBTQ+ organizations to donate to right now.
More from In The Know: