Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Welcome to Best Bites, a video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie.
These gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are stuffed with Gruyere cheese, Muenster cheese, white cheddar, herbs and the secret ingredient: caramelized onions. Yes, this is the best grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
The recipe calls for four sandwiches — and you may want to allot yourself at least two to start.
- 8 slices good quality bread
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese thinly sliced OR grated, at room temperature
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese thinly sliced OR grated, at room temperature
- 4 slices thin Muenster cheese at room temperature
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced and divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter to a skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add diced onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and one teaspoon of fresh rosemary to the hot skillet and sauté, stirring often, until onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Stir brown sugar into the onions and cook another minute.
- Transfer onions to a plate.
- Spread one side of two pieces of bread with mayonnaise.
- In the same skillet, add remaining butter and rosemary, and heat over medium heat. Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter.
- Add both pieces of bread to the skillet, mayonnaise side down, and cook until the bread is golden brown and crunchy (about 2—3 minutes).
- As soon as you add the bread to the skillet, add a bit of cheese to the top of each piece of bread. Once it starts to melt, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the caramelized onions over the top of one of the pieces of bread.
- When the bread is golden brown, sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook on low until the cheese is fully melted.
- Transfer your sandwich to a plate and repeat with remaining slices of bread and ingredients to make four sandwiches in total.
If you like this sandwich, check out this recipe for cheesy chicken, bacon and apple sandwiches.
More from In The Know: