Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Mouthwashes often get a bad rap, but dental professionals say that the right ones actually help improve your dental health and can remedy some of the most common oral issues many people face today.
When looking for a mouthwash or oral rinse that’s safe and actually beneficial to use, dentists recommend looking for two things: A “dentist-recommended” or “dentist-formulated” sticker, and verbiage noting that it’s alcohol-free to ensure that it doesn’t irritate or burn your gums.
Two dentists and one gum surgeon on TikTok have shared their top mouthwash recommendations, separated by need:
- Best For Those With Cavities: ACT Anticavity Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash
- Best For Getting Rid Of Bad Breath: TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Oral Rinse
- Top Alcohol-Free Pick: SmartMouth Original Activated Mouthwash & Single Packs, Travel Mouthwash
- Best For Sensitive Mouths: Colgate Peroxyl Antiseptic Mouthwash and Mouth Sore Rinse
Check out each pick below with explanations from dental professionals on why they’re the best ones to use.
1. Best For Those With Cavities: ACT Anticavity Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash, $4.29
ACT is one of the most notable and reliable mouthwash brands on the market, and several dentists say its Anticavity Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash is one of the best for both getting rid of and preventing cavities.
Washington D.C.-based dentist @thedontist said on TikTok that this is his top recommendation for those with cavities. “ACT is pH neutral, alcohol-free and has a little bit of fluoride in there to help strengthen the teeth against cavities.”
2. Best For Getting Rid Of Bad Breath: TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Oral Rinse, Pack of 2, $15.34 (Orig. $25.19)
We’ve shared that this is the absolute best mouthwash for getting rid of bad breath — and it’s actually the real deal. Experienced dentist Dr. Harold Katz started TheraBreath in 1994 after his teenage daughter was bullied for her halitosis. He formulated this mouthwash to target and kill the bad breath-causing bacteria.
Today, it’s a No. 1 best seller, and several other dentists recommend it to their patients. On TikTok, gum surgeon Dr. Miles Madison recommends using this or the ACT Anticavity Mouthwash instead of Listerine because they’re not acidic and don’t cause gum recession.
3. Top Alcohol-Free Pick: SmartMouth Original Activated Mouthwash & Single Packs, Travel Mouthwash, $18.98 (Orig. $21.99)
Choosing an alcohol-free mouthwash is a must, and experienced dentist @drbetc said on TikTok that the SmartMouth Original Activated Mouthwash is her favorite.
“No alcohol, no harmful ingredients, no aftertaste, and it was formulated by a dentist,” she said in her video. “It’s a dual solution that gets rid of sulfur compounds in the mouth.”
4. Best For Sensitive Mouths: Colgate Peroxyl Antiseptic Mouthwash and Mouth Sore Rinse, $9.60 (Orig. $11.99)
Lastly, for those with sensitive mouths or sores, @thedontist recommends the best-selling and extremely affordable Colgate Peroxyl Antiseptic Mouthwash and Mouth Sore Rinse. Over 21,000 Amazon shoppers swear by this stuff and say it’s extremely gentle.
“This has a little bit of hydrogen peroxide in there,” @thedontist said in his video. “It will help to heal ulcers in the mouth [and] heal any wounds in the mouth. It’s a great, great product if you have any wounds that need cleansing.”
If you enjoyed this story, check out the No. 1 best dentist-recommended mouthwash for getting rid of bad breath for good.
More from In The Know: