Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Christmas cookies are a time-honored tradition in most households. This year, take your cookie baking up a level by turning your treats into a 3D-cookie Christmas tree.
Though this recipe uses gingerbread cookies, but you can use sugar cookies, if you prefer. Either way, this cookie Christmas tree will be the first thing to disappear from your holiday spread.
- gingerbread cookie mix, prepared
For the buttercream frosting:
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 5 drops of green food coloring
- sprinkles and candy cane pieces for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using the star cookie set, cut out the stars (2 of each size). Bake for 6-12 min. (Time will vary, less for smaller and more for larger cookies.)
- Make the buttercream frosting: Add butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and whip. Mix in sugar and salt on low speed until mostly combined. Add vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high and mix until smooth. Adjust the consistency with milk, if needed.
- Once cookies are done baking and cooled, stack them on top of each other, from the biggest to the smallest, putting a bit of buttercream in between to hold them all together.
- Decorate the rest of the tree with buttercream and candies. Pro tip: Add buttercream to a piping bag for easier decorating.
If you’re looking for more recipes, check out these New Year’s Eve pudding party parfaits.
More from In The Know: