If you’re looking for a delicious way to spice up your breakfast, look no further than shakshuka. This flavor-packed North African egg dish is loaded with healthy, tasty ingredients like chickpeas, spinach, tomatoes and fresh herbs. And the best part? It’s super easy to make at home. Just make sure to warn your taste buds that they’re in for a big morning.
Tip: For an extra hearty breakfast, feel free to pair your savory shakshuka with a slice of your favorite homemade bread!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup of bell peppers, cubed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 cups packed spinach
- 2 tbsp harissa
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 4 large eggs
- Cilantro, and/or microgreens optional for garnish
- Heat olive oil in the frying pan, then add onions and bell peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers start to turn golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook tomatoes until they are soft.
- Add spinach and stir.
- Add harissa and stir well, then pour in the chickpeas. Cover and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Using a spoon, make 4 small wells in the tomato mix and crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on each yolk.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium-low heat until the egg whites settle but the yolks remain gooey. Should be about 5 minutes. (Tip: It’s easy to overcook the egg this way, so it’s best to leave them slightly undercooked, as they’ll continue to cook while being served.)
- Garnish with optional cilantro or microgreens, and enjoy!
Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
If you enjoyed this story, check out this guide to cooking eggs four different ways!
More from In The Know: