Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
‘Tis the season for sweaters and it’s no secret that come the colder months, sweaters make up more than half of our wardrobe.
From cardigans to turtlenecks and cashmere, investing in a few sweaters to keep on rotation all season long is key. Whether you’re someone who constantly finds themself reaching for the tried-and-true sweater-and-jeans outfit combo or you like to get creative with the cozy essential, you can’t go wrong with a chic piece of knitwear.
Check out the 12 best sweaters below that you’ll never want to take off.
- Best Cardigan Sweater: Everlane Texture Cotton Cardigan
- Best Puff Sleeve Sweater: Anthropologie Betty Puff-Sleeved Sweater
- Most Affordable Sweater: H&M Knit Sweater
- Best Splurge Sweater: Isabel Marant Mohair & Wool Blend Sweater
- Best Basic Everyday Sweater: BP. Easy Drop Shoulder Sweater
- Best Cashmere Sweater: Naadam Cashmere Ribbed Mockneck Sweater
- Best Sweater For A Night Out: Madewell Jillian Tie Cardigan
- Best Bodysuit Sweater: Nanushka Azha Ribbed-Knit Bodysuit
- Best Sweater Dress: Eloquii Cardigan Sweater Dress
- Best Cropped Sweater: Topshop Butterfly Crop Sweater
- Best Duster Sweater: H&M Long Cardigan
- Best Turtleneck Sweater: Free People Ottoman Slouchy Tunic
1. Best Cardigan Sweater: Everlane Texture Cotton Cardigan, $98
Why we love it: The cardigan is a classic staple for outfit creation. It’s the layering piece that you’ll reach time and time again no matter where you’re heading. It’s simple, chic, humble and minimal. And obviously, it’s Taylor Swift approved.
2. Best Puff Sleeve Sweater: Anthropologie Betty Puff-Sleeved Sweater, $98
Why we love it: Not only does this puff sleeve and mock neck silhouette add instant elevation to any outfit, but the powder blue is a subtle way to add a pop of color into your wardrobe.
3. Most Affordable Sweater: H&M Knit Sweater, $9.99
Why we love it: Well, for starters you cannot beat the price. This less than $10 sweater can be styled in so many ways and can transition into the warmer seasons due to its lightweight fabric.
4. Best Splurge Sweater: Isabel Marant Mohair & Wool Blend Sweater, $745
Why we love it: No one pays more attention to detail when it comes to luxe sweaters better than Isabel Marant. Made in Italy and designed from mohair yarns, this cozy and cuddly splurge-worthy sweater is made to last.
5. Best Basic Everyday Sweater: BP. Easy Drop Shoulder Sweater, $39
Why we love it: Stuck in a style rut? Grab this affordable and lightweight sweater for everyday of the week. Plus, it comes in five different colors including blue, white and red.
6. Best Cashmere Sweater: Naadam Cashmere Ribbed Mockneck Sweater, $250
Why we love it: Designed from 100 percent Mongolian cashmere, Naadam’s collection of high-quality sweaters is committed to transparency, ethical practices, cultural preservation and environmental sustainability.
7. Best Cropped Sweater: Topshop Butterfly Crop Sweater
Why we love it: Featuring slouchy dropped shoulders and a subtle cropped fit, this pullover knit is a must for your fall sweater collection.
8. Best Duster Sweater: H&M Long Cardigan, $39.99
Why we love it: A duster sweater is the chic answer for all of your cozy needs. Whether you’re traveling or lounging on the couch, this longline sweater makes it feel like you’re wearing a blanket.
9. Best Sweater Dress: Eloquii Cardigan Sweater Dress
Why we love it: This sweater dress is perfect for almost every occasion. Family holidays? Check. Out to dinner? You bet. Heading into the office? Definitely. We also love that it can be worn open as a maxi cardigan.
10. Best Sweater For A Night Out: Madewell Jillian Tie Cardigan, $89.50
Why we love it: Who says sweaters can’t be sexy for date night or dinner with the girls?
11. The Bodysuit Sweater: Nanushka Azha Ribbed-Knit Bodysuit, $275
Why we love it: Nobody wants to worry about achieving that perfectly tucked in shirt, and that’s where the bodysuit comes in. Plus, this sustainable sweater is crafted from recycled cashmere.
12. Best Turtleneck Sweater: Free People Ottoman Slouchy Tunic, $148
Why we love it: With over 400 reviews on Nordstrom, this cozy sweater features an oversized tunic silhouette so we can avoid the usual constraints of your average turtleneck.
If you enjoyed this story, you might want to check out the 15 best black leggings at every price point.
More from In The Know: