Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
If a bowl of classic French onion soup wasn’t tempting enough, try our version topped with garlic mushroom toasts.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
For the mushroom toast:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 24 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus extra for serving
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- 8 ounces freshly grated Gruyére cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Tools you may need
- Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, $44.99
- French Onion Crock Soup Bowls (Set of 4), $24.99
- For the French onion soup: Heat a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat on the stove. Melt butter and add sliced onions, garlic powder and pepper and sauté for 40 minutes
- Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the mushroom toast: Preheat the broiler to high. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil and butter. Once butter has melted, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Arrange toast on a baking sheet in a single layer. Add a spoonful or two of mushrooms to each slice, followed by a mound of Gruyére cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan. Broil until bubbly and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, but keep an eye on them because they can burn quickly.
- Transfer the soup to bowls and top with the cheesy mushroom toasts. Serve with extra parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
More to read: