Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Gua sha is a form of massage that stimulates blood flow by gently scraping the skin. It also incorporates acupuncture points to combat many ailments and assist the user in achieving younger-looking, beautiful skin.
To achieve the best results, you will need to research some of the techniques used by professionals. On one hand, too much pressure, for example, can actually drag or pull the skin and result in premature wrinkles (yikes!). On the other hand, too little pressure will make little impact – so in addition to correct handling, you need a trained, steady hand. You will also need to purchase a suitable oil and the best gua sha tool. Not using a carrier oil while moving your gua sha tool across the skin can lead to dragging and unwanted pulling. So as you can imagine, the right gua sha tool will depend on a variety of factors, including the location you wish to massage. If you’re new to gua sha, you may be feeling overwhelmed or lost, but the list below serves as the ultimate gua sha guide to answer all your questions!
Best Overall: DEAYOKA Rose Quartz Gua Sha Tool
With its sleek design and calming pink tones, it’s no wonder the DEAYOKA gua sha tool is a favorite among users.
This product is shaped like a heart and will perfectly work around the contours of the face. Made from rose quartz, using this product daily may help reduce puffiness and increase blood flow. It is an excellent gift for any loved one in your life. When not in use, this gua sha tool can be displayed next to other skin care products in your bathroom.
Another plus? This beauty comes in a stylish carry case, so you can totally take it on your next road trip or concert in the desert (Coachella, anyone?)
- In the shape of a heart
- Made from rose quartz
- It comes in a stylish carry case
- This product is not as smooth as it should be
Most color options: Rena Chris Gua Sha Facial Tool
This product is also heart-shaped and is available in a variety of colors. The curved design lets you easily glide it across your skin without causing pain or pulling.
Hand-carved and expertly sanded to create a smooth finish, each stone will fit perfectly in your hand and comes in a lovely gift box. So if you’re someone who wants to gift that special someone (or yourself) a variety of color options, you can totally do so – and in style!
- Beautiful heart shape
- Small and easy to hold
- Available in several colors
- This product will not survive accidental drops
Easiest to gift: ROSELYNBOUTIQUE Gua Sha Facial Tool
This gua sha facial tool is made in the shape of a heart. The different lengthed arcs are ideal for use on multiple body parts, including the face.
This product is available in several colors, so you can surely find one that suits your taste. This gua sha facial tool can also be used as a beautiful ornament. For those who are looking to show their friends and family some love, this product comes in a gift box that will save you both time and money.
Compact and easy to transport, you won’t have to worry about sacrificing other items in your bag to bring your gua sha tool along with you to the office.
- Available in several colors
- It comes with a beautiful gift box
- Different lengthed curves
- Some customers received cracked products
Most Durable: Rosenice Gua Sha Facial Tool
Beautiful as it is pure, this jade gua sha tool can benefit the appearance of your skin. Using this product twice daily can increase blood flow.
Some people believe the act of exposing the skin to jade can make a person look younger. This product is designed to apply light pressure to the face and just about anywhere else on the body. Designed to fit comfortably in your hand, it comes securely packaged in protective bubble wrap to ensure it arrives to you in perfect condition.
- Perfect shape for facial massage
- Beautiful jade color
- Packaged well and durable
- It does not come in attractive packaging
Most comfortable: Ditind Gua Sha Massage Tool
This product allows you to perform gua sha massage on others or yourself.
Comfortable to hold and slender enough to move across the skin without causing bruising or uncomfortable pressure, it is recommended to use this product with an oil that is suitable for the face.
Although this product is designed to be used on the face, you can also use it on other body parts. It is available in green or black and is an excellent gift for anyone who loves collecting crystals.
- Available in two colors
- Comfortable to hold
- Great shape for massages
- It could be a little larger
How to find a high-quality gua sha: a buying guide
Now that you’ve seen our list of our favorite gua sha, you can do some additional research to ensure you purchase the right one for your needs. Continue reading to learn more about gua sha and what to consider before you make a purchase.
What is a gua sha massage?
Gua sha massage involves scraping your skin with a massaging tool. This can be performed on your body or face. The massage includes a variety of long and short downward strokes to increase blood circulation. Before using the massage tool, you should apply some sort of massage oil for easy traction.
What are the benefits of a gua sha massage?
There are several benefits to having regular gua sha massages. Some of these include:
- Better liver health: Some studies show that gua sha reduces liver inflammation which is caused by conditions like hepatitis B. It has also been shown to reduce liver enzymes, but more research needs to be done for definitive results.
- Relieves neck pain: Gua sha can relieve neck pain. However, it may not stop the neck pain from returning when the treatment is stopped.
- Reduces migraines: Similarly, gua sha can reduce the frequency of migraines. It should be used regularly as a preventive measure.
- Reduces premenopausal symptoms: Gua sha will not get rid of premenopausal symptoms altogether, but it will help reduce the symptoms. Some symptoms it combats includes:
- Irregular periods
- Hot flushes
What are the types of gua sha tools available?
There are several types of gua sha tools available. The following gua sha are different shapes and are best suited to different areas of the body:
- Concave is ideally shaped for the neck and shoulders but can be used in other areas of the body. This makes concave a perfect pick for buyers who aren’t looking to purchase a set of gua sha tools. As for gifting, concave is a great option for that one friend who raves about the latest skincare but isn’t looking to clutter their bathroom counter.
- Double curved gua sha tools look like an elongated and flattened “S.” It is ideal for massaging the eye and cheeks area. Because the undereye area is sensitive, it is important not to drag or pull the skin when moving your gua sha tool here.
- Cleft is predominantly square or rectangular. Often used to massage the jawline, some variations have raised edges.
- Teeth edges are sometimes found on concave tolls and cleft tools. They are often intended for use on the forehead, chin, and cheeks – but you can use these just about anywhere you feel comfortable doing so.
- Pointed convex edge is a type of gua sha tool that looks a little like a canine tooth that curves more to one side. It is used mostly to massage the brow area.
- Mushroom gua sha tools are used around the eyes to reduce puffiness and brighten the skin.
Acupoint scraping massage
Some gua sha tools have pointed ends so you can achieve acupoint scraping. When purchasing this type of gua sha tool, it is best to read up on the different acupressure points found in our bodies.
Gua sha practitioners believe that you can relieve ailments by accessing acupuncture points on the face. Some of these include:
- Yintang, which rests between the eyebrows and relieves frontal headaches. It can also reduce stress and help you sleep.
- Zanzhu, which is an acupuncture point located above the innermost part of the eyebrow. When pressure is applied, it can relieve eye aches and headaches.
- Bitong, which is located next to the bridge of the nostril. When pressure is applied, it can relieve congestion.
Materials used to make gua sha tools
Gua sha tools also come in a variety of materials. Because some cheaper gua sha tools may be made of false crystal (which is actually just dyed glass or resin) be sure to check for legitimacy prior to purchasing.
Because real crystal gua sha tools will cost a little more, checking for purity by browsing through customer reviews can save you from wasting your money on a fake product. This is not to say that glass or resin cannot do a great job, but if you’re set on buying real crystal, the facts will matter.
Certain crystals, like rose quartz and howlite, are believed to possess metaphysical properties. While crystals aren’t a replacement for therapy, variations that can help alleviate wellness stressors include the following:
- Jade promotes harmony, soothes troubled minds, and releases negative thoughts.
- Rose quartz promotes self-love and can lift your mood.
- Green aventurine is sometimes mistaken for jade, but with a little research, a trained eye can tell the difference. This crystal is believed to block radiation from electrical devices, absorb negative emotions and even alleviate nausea.
- Black obsidian can alleviate mental fog and protect its owner from negative, chaotic energy.
- Amethyst is a calming crystal that is a favorite among anxiety sufferers.
Oils used for gua sha
While there are a variety of oils you can use for gua sha, your choice should be non-comedogenic (meaning, the oil will not clog your pores). A general rule of thumb is that the oil you use should not instantly absorb into your skin.
The oil should also be lightweight. If too thick, the scraping process will remove the oil.
Oils containing antioxidants like vitamin C and E will combat free radicals such as pollution and UV rays. Using antioxidant-containing oils daily can make your skin look younger and more refreshed.
Some other beneficial oils include the following:
- Rosehip oil boosts collagen production, reduces inflammation, and hydrates.
- Grapeseed oil lightens the skin, tightens pores, and reduces the appearance of scars.
- Argan oil soothes irritated skin and is known to reduce wrinkles. For those who live in a dryer climate and suffer from dry skin, argan oil is also an excellent product for the hair and face. Only one or two drops will do, and to enhance your experience you can add the oil to your lotion.
People also asked
Q: What is the best time to give me a gua sha massage?
A: The best time to give yourself a gua sha massage is early in the morning. This will prep your skin for the day ahead.
Q: How can I tell if my gua sha tool is real jade?
A: A real jade gua sha tool will display a mild sheen and not be completely smooth. Because of the properties of the mineral, jade will also be slightly rough to touch.
Q: How thick should gua sha tools be?
A: Generally speaking, gua sha tools should be thin to achieve a scraping effect and not thick enough to pull or drag the skin.
Trending NowCharles Melton is the leading man we all deserve
Special Offer for YouHydrate thirsty skin with Winky Lux's So Quenched Trio
More from In The Know: