“It was on 5 acres, pool, five-bedroom, three-bathroom, it was amazing,” she says in the now viral clip.
Two weeks after purchasing the home, however, she learned that the basement flooded and would soon become a breeding ground for toxic mold.
“We went on a two-year lawsuit and spent about $50,000 between the lawsuit, the lawyer and the repairs, and we lost,” she continues.
To prevent others from going through the same episode, Hooper shared one bit of important advice: get an air quality test, which can range between $200 and $600, before buying a home.
“Machine sucks up air, and they go and test it,” she explains in her video. “And if there’s any sort of black mold, penicillium mold, the toxic molds, that means that somewhere behind the wall, under the ground, somewhere, it’s there. And if it is, don’t buy it.”
Hooper’s video has since received nearly 400,000 views and more than 600 comments.
“This is exactly why I love [TikTok], y’all teach me so much and it’s appreciated,” one person wrote.
“Great advice,” another posted in response. “Don’t skip regular inspections either! If something negative does come back you can ask for a credit towards your purchase.”
Exposure to black mold can lead to increased risk of asthma, allergies and depression, according to Everyday Health. The mold normally grows in humid areas, such as cabinets, basements, bathrooms and kitchens. Though it’s nearly impossible to completely remove the mold in a home, homeowners are encouraged to clean any wet and damp spots as regularly as possible, Health.com notes.
If you enjoyed this story, you might want to see what a $750,000 home looks like in four different U.S. cities.
More from In The Know: