Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Organization is key — so is cleaning, storage, gardening and more. In this series, you’ll learn various tips and tricks to make gardening, grilling and even sewing easier. No matter the problem, there’s a Home Hack for that!
There’s no doubt that having fresh flowers around your home instantly cheers up the space. But next time your flowers are on their last leg, don’t just throw them away.
To give your dying flower bouquets a new life, you can make homemade potpourri out of the flower petals in just a few easy steps. Not only are you getting one more use out of your fresh flowers, but your home will smell better for it.
Be sure to watch the latest episode of In The Know’s Home Hacks above to see how to make potpourri at home. And below, we’ve outlined all the steps and materials you’ll need.
Supplies you need:
- Shop: Pur D’or Perfect 10 Essential Oil Wood Box Set, $21.99
- Shop: Diamond Star Apothecary Glass Candy Jar, $25.99
- Shop: Wezviz Stainless Steel Baking Sheet, Set Of 2, $15.99
- Shop: If You Care Parchment Baking Paper, $6.49
- 1-2 fresh citrus fruits
- A bag of your favorite whole spices
How to make homemade potpourri
- Cut stems off the flowers, leaving just the buds.
- Slice your citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruits or lemons, into rounds.
- Gather your favorite whole spices.
- In a small spray bottle, add one tablespoon of water to 10-15 essential oil drops.
- Spread the flower petals, fruits and spices onto a parchment-covered baking sheet and spritz with the essential oil mixture.
- Bake at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for at least two hours.
- Add one more spritz of essential oil mixture.
- Place your potpourri in a decorate vase or bowl and enjoy!
If you liked this story, you might like to read about how to make homemade jelly.
More from In The Know: