Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Welcome to Best Bites, a video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie.
After the holidays, your fridge is probably filled to the brim with leftovers. But instead of eating the same thing for the next few days, you can turn your leftovers into a whole new tasty meal. Case in point: This slow cooker potato and leftover holiday ham chowder.
The chowder combines leftover ham and potatoes with frozen veggies and ready-to-eat items (like bacon bits!) to make the recipe even more simple. Toss it all together in the slow cooker and let it simmer throughout the day while you go about your business. It couldn’t get any easier. That is, unless you use Walmart+ to order any ingredients you might not have on hand.
With Walmart+, you can get your groceries, cooking gadgets and more delivered. Orders over $35 are delivered for free from your store (some restrictions may apply), and you can even have your order delivered as soon as same day.
If you have yet to check it out, we recommend signing up for the Walmart+ 15-day free trial. The membership costs $98 per year, or $12.95 per month, and is well worth it, considering all the time it saves you and Walmart’s everyday low prices. Not to mention, Walmart+ members can now get free next-day and two-day shipping on items shipped from Walmart.com — no order minimum required (some restrictions may apply).
It’s a convenient way to get the things you need without having to leave the house, like the ingredients for this slow cooker chowder recipe.
- leftover ham, sliced into small pieces (as much as you’d like or have)
- 1 pound yellow potatoes
- 2 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 package frozen chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packaged frozen sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ cup canned corn
- 1 cup half and half
- cheddar cheese, for topping
- bacon bits, for topping
- green onion, for topping
- salt and pepper
Tools to use
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix frozen chopped onion, frozen sliced carrots, olive oil, minced garlic and thyme. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Transfer onion and carrot mixture to slow cooker and add potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5–6 hours.
- Once time is up, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer soup back to the slow cooker and add in leftover ham.
- Stir in corn and half and half.
- Transfer to bowls and top with grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits and green onion — and enjoy!
If you liked this story, check out this recipe for stuffed Christmas bell peppers the whole family will love.
More from In The Know:
3 thoughtful holiday gifts that any host will love