Are you looking to (literally) taste the rainbow?! Start cooking with rainbow Swiss chard! Flavorful, nutritious, and aesthetically pleasing, rainbow Swiss chard is the perfect ingredient for adding a healthy, colorful pop to any dish. On this episode of In The Know: Zero Waste Kitchen, chef Adriana Urbina (@adrianaurbinap) uses the eye-catching leafy green to make a delicious sweet potato and Swiss chard feta pie, a tasty spin on classic Greek spinach and feta pie.
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Feta Pie
- 8 cups chopped Swiss chard, without stems
- 1 cup chives and mint mixed together, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sliced scallions, both white and green parts
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2/3 cup cooked sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz. Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling. In a large bowl, combine chopped Swiss chard, chopped herbs, olive oil and salt and pepper. Massage the ingredients until the greens start to wilt, then set aside.
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, scallions, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the hot mixture to the greens and combine to further wilt the vegetables. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and thoroughly combine. Once everything is well mixed, fold in the crumbled feta.
- Assemble the pie. Unroll a thawed phyllo dough sheet and keep it covered with a moist kitchen towel while working. Working with 1 sheet at a time, lay the phyllo sheet so that it is in the center of a pie pan, with the excess dough draping over the rim, and brush generously with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Repeat with 3 more sheets of phyllo, each sheet placed perpendicular to the previous one, brushing with olive oil before adding the next sheet.
- Add the greens mixture to the phyllo-lined pie pan. Fold the excess dough over the greens and drape the remaining 2 sheets over the top. Drizzle with more olive oil, making sure to cover the entire pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the pie with a serrated knife, and serve with your favorite side salad!
More from In The Know: