A woman was stunned when her leather couch began to smoke for an unexpected reason.
TikToker Lydia Cooke went viral with footage of her sizzling brown sofa. The couch was parked near a window the curtains opened. The sunlight was powerful enough to heat up the fabric, which caused quite a safety hazard.
“I was today years old when I learnt how house fires can start,” the video text read.
A ray of sunlight honed into one spot on the leather couch. The spot started to smoke and sizzle as if it were about to catch fire. Cooke swatted the spot with her hand. Then she turned the cushion over.
The video received over 19 million views on TikTok.
“Mirrors. Glasses. Eye glasses. Anything with a reflective surface can pinpoint to a hot point,” a user said.
“I love how you’re slapping it away because that would’ve been my exact reaction,” another wrote.
“A friends house caught fire from a drinking glass left out on the porch reflected onto a garbage bag and it ignited!” someone shared.
“Have had this happen but on a dining chair… now I never leave house without putting blinds down,” a TikToker replied.
Trending NowDixie & Charli D'Amelio are here to stay
Special Offer for YouTake 50% off your purchase during J.Crew's Black Friday sale
More from In The Know: