Every now and then a YouTube video will come along with that certain je ne sais quoi — call it meme-ability, catchy song lyrics or a must-try dance. There’s just something about the viral clips that makes hitting the share button irresistible.
These are the 10 most-viewed YouTube videos of all time that people just couldn’t help but share.
10. “Sorry (PURPOSE: The Movement)” by Justin Bieber — 3.4 billion views
No surprise that this one made the list. The hit single off of Justin Bieber’s fourth studio album “Purpose” topped the Billboard Hot 100 for seven weeks in 2015, and it seemed like that dance craze was everywhere.
9. “Learn the Colors – Colorful Eggs on the Farm” by Miroška TV — 3.6 billion views
Cartoon eggs teach children six different colors to the tune of “Old MacDonald” in this Russian-language children’s sing-a-long.
8. “Gangnam Style” by Psy — 3.9 billion views
7. “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars — 4 billion views
The funk-pop collaboration between British record producer Mark Ronson and singer-songwriter Bruno Mars topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks in 2014 and 2015.
6. “Johny Johny Yes Papa” by LooLoo Kids — 4.2 billion views
This kid’s sing-a-long about eating too much sugar is aimed at teaching young children English. It was also a meme.
5. “Masha and The Bear – Recipe for Disaster ” by Get Movies — 4.4 billion views
Masha and The Bear is actually a series of animated shorts for kids. In this episode, Masha and The Bear try to make porridge but there are some minor hiccups along the way.
4. “See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth — 4.8 billion views
The song was commissioned as a tribute to the late actor Paul Walker who died in 2013. It was featured on the “Furious: 7” soundtrack, the film franchise in which Walker starred and is best known for.
3. “The Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran — 5 billion views
The dancehall-pop track by English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran peaked at No. 1 in 34 countries including the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 2017.
2. “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee — 7 billion views
This pop-reggaeton collaboration between Puerto Rico’s Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee was the most-watched YouTube video of all time until November 2020.
1. “Baby Shark Dance” by Pinkfong! Kids’ Songs & Stories — 7.1 billion views
“Baby Shark Dance” became YouTube’s most-watched video of all time on November 2, 2020. According to BBC News, if every video view was played consecutively, it would have to be streamed on loop for 30,187 years. In the 2016 video, 10-year-old Korean-American singer Hope Segoine sings the addictive kid’s song.
If you enjoyed this story, you might also want to read about the most-liked TikTok videos.
More from In The Know: