Woman issues warning after online purchase sets fire to her apartment

A TikToker is going viral after sharing her tragic and frightening experience with a neon sign.

The disastrous moment comes courtesy of user @sydsacks, who goes by Syd on the app. In a clip posted on May 27, Syd revealed what happened after she purchased a neon sign for her brand new apartment.

Apartment burnt down after 14 hours of being moved in!” the TikToker captioned her video.

Unfortunately, Syd’s caption pretty much says it all. Another clip shows the damage from the sign, which she says sparked a fire after falling onto her (also new) couch.


I guess it was fun while it lasted rip #FriendsReunion #ConjuringHorror #FYP

♬ Oh No – Kreepa

The incident comes after several TikTokers have shared strange experiences with their new homes. Some users have found Jenga pieces holding their bathroom together, while others have discovered hidden basements under their stairs.

Syd’s video shows burnt-up pieces of her couch, a massive hole in her wall and tons of water damage from her sprinkler system. The incident left commenters with plenty of questions.

“OK but how did this happen?” one user asked.

“Please tell me you have insurance,” another added.

“New fear unlocked,” another user wrote.

Syd tried her best to answer those questions and more. In a series of follow-up clips, the TikToker explained that she does thankfully have renter’s insurance.

She also provided a clearer timeline of the events. According to her videos, she accidentally left the neon sign on after leaving for lunch — and no more than 10 minutes after she left, the sign fell over. She was also quick to clarify that her apartment did survive the fire, although most of her furniture was destroyed by the sprinklers.


Final part! ##fyp

♬ original sound – syd

Additionally, Syd explained that she got the sign from a reliable seller on Etsy who had over 10,000 reviews. She added that the Etsy seller had been cooperative with her throughout the incident, so she didn’t want to name or shame them.

Lastly — and most importantly for some — Syd noted that her dog was not in the apartment at the time and is completely fine.

In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!  

If you liked this story, check out this article on the family who found a monopoly board under their floor.

More from In The Know:

Woman horrified after realizing she shared embarrassing video

Barack Obama’s first presidential memoir is out now — and it’s cheaper to read with Kindle

These inexpensive silky-soft pillowcases on Amazon are good for your hair and your skin

The 3 most affordable meal delivery kits for cooking at home

Listen to the latest episode of our pop culture podcast, We Should Talk: