Mom warns against putting a lit candle near your TV after she ‘ruined’ flat screen

A mom said she “ruined” the family television by making this small mistake. 

TikToker @rachelgray.ok issued a warning to others to never leave a candle burning underneath a TV set. The reason may seem obvious, but the sleep-deprived mom overlooked the issue causing damage to the appliance. 

“Don’t put a candle under your tv :),” the video text read

The footage zoomed into a small orange mark on the television screen where the candle had melted it. Fortunately, the rest of the flat screen was still functional. 

“MY SON SAID MUM WHATS THAT,” she explained. “I ignored him. Then realised.” 

Some people in the comments said that they didn’t understand how she could overlook such a “simple thing.” She replied that she is “sleep deprived” and has been “doing silly things” because of it.  

The video racked up 2.1 million views on TikTok

“Thanks bestie, gotta go remove mine now,” a user wrote

“Happened to me too there’s a hole in the bottom,” another said

“Also don’t wash your tv in the swimming pool. Another helpful tip,” a person joked

“I burn a candle on my fireplace under my tv every day for the past 3 years and this has never happened,” someone commented

“I did this to a new tv, my son said mum the tv is melting,” a TikToker replied

More from In The Know:

Vitamix is having a huge Cyber Weekend Sale, and you can get up to 50% off

My favorite pair of wear-everywhere flats are on super sale during Rothy's rare archive sale

Target's official Black Friday deals are here! Save on Apple, PlayStation, Samsung, KitchenAid and more

These 12 Coach bags are all 60% off or more, plus an extra 30% off during the brand's extended Cyber Monday sale — as low as $23

Listen to the latest episode of our pop culture podcast, We Should Talk: