Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
While these pot o’ gold cookies may look like an art, they’re not all that hard to make. All you need is some candy, icing, and admittedly, a little patience.
For the cookies:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ½ sticks (about 1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cups granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the decorations:
- 2 tubes (8 ounces total) white decorating icing
- ½ cup yellow coated chocolate candies
- 6 rainbow candy strips, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer. Cream the butter and sugar together on high until light and fluffy — about three to five minutes. Then turn the mixer on low and add the eggs and vanilla extract. Scrape the bowl.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl and beat again for 30 seconds.
- Pour some extra sugar into a bowl to coat the cookies. Scoop the dough out and roll into 1-inch balls. (The dough should be soft and delicate. Make sure not to over handle.) Roll each dough ball in the sugar bowl to coat, then place on the cookie sheets two inches apart.
- Use the bottom of a drinking glass to press down on each ball, until its 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Use your thumb to make holes in the center of the dough.
- Bake each sheet of sugar cookies for nine to 11 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden and the centers are just barely set. Cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Cut the candy strips into 3-inch pieces. Set out the mini yellow candies and prepare the icing tube with a star attachment.
- When the cookies have cooled, place yellow candies in the middle of each cookie to make it look like a pot of gold.
- Pipe two cloud-like stars on opposite sides of the cookie and arrange a candy strip in a rainbow shape sticking each end of the candy strip into the icing. Repeat with remaining cookies and serve.
If you liked this recipe, check out this recipe for a Lucky Charms milkshake.
More from In The Know: