Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Welcome to Best Bites, a video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie.
Some food looks good and some food tastes good, but the two don’t always coincide. This rainbow donut recipe, however, has everything going for it. You won’t be able to keep your hands or your eyes off of these babies.
The rainbow effect may look difficult, but it’s actually very simple. Here, we separate the dough into different bowls and mix each with a different food coloring. Then, we place a scoop of each colored-batter into the donut molds side-by-side, bake and voila!
Try making this rainbow donut recipe for breakfast or dessert this week!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk powder
- food coloring (red, orange, yellow, blue, green and purple)
For the toppings:
- Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut Baking Pans 2-Pack, $17.82
- Wilton Icing Colors, 12-Count Gel-Based Food Color, $13
- OXO Good Grips 8-Piece Glass Prep Bowl Set, $17.99
- Checkered Chef Baking Sheet and Rack Set, $22.99
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, honey, egg and vanilla extract.
- Combine mixed wet and dry ingredients into one bowl with buttermilk to make the dough.
- Separate the dough into six separate mini mixing bowls. Add a different food coloring to each: red, orange, yellow, blue, green and purple.
- Scoop a small amount of red-colored dough into each donut mold in the pan and repeat with the rest of the dough colors. The dough should not be layered on top of one another, but rather, side-by-side to create a rainbow pattern.
- Bake donuts for 7 minutes.
- Once done, use a knife to gently pop each donut out of its mold and place it onto a cooling rack. Let the donuts cool for at least 1 minute.
- While donuts cool, mix confectioners sugar and whipping cream, and whisk until it becomes a glaze.
- Dip each donut into the glaze to frost and top with rainbow sprinkles.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you should pair it with these iced coffee and latte recipes.
More from In The Know: