The company, home to 100,000 active online communities around the world, compiled data from Jan. 1, 2021, to Nov. 9, 2021, to curate its biggest trends. The platform also launched Reddit Recap on Dec. 9 to allow users to see their year in review. Most notably this year, people made online chatter real-world moments.
Everything from playing around with with the stock market on r/wallstreetbets to crashing the One Simple Wish website to gifting a boy 150 stuffed Manta-Ray toys to the infamous “Battle of the Joshes” had implications IRL.
Reddit posts increased 19% year over year, with Redditors creating 366 million posts in 2021. Meanwhile, comments went up 12% with 2.3 billion total and almost 46 billion upvotes.
Reddit’s Most Upvoted Posts 2021
- r/wallstreetbets: Times Square right now (431K upvotes)
- r/wallstreetbets: UPVOTE so everyone sees we got SUPPORT (322K upvotes)
- r/wallstreetbets: GME YOLO update — Jan 28 2021 (286K upvotes)
- r/antiwork: Quit my job last night, it was nice to be home to make the kids breakfast and take them to school today! Off to hunt for a new opportunity, wish me luck 🙂 (270K upvotes)
- r/nextf******level: Dodging a cash-in-transit robbery. The man has balls of steel (258K upvotes)
Reddit’s Most Upvoted AMAs 2021
- I’m a lobster diver who recently survived being inside of a whale. AMA! (90.9K upvotes)
- I’m Bill Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and author of “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster.” Ask Me Anything (66.6K upvotes)
- Hi, I’m Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios. Ask Me Anything. Thanks! (38K upvotes)
Reddit’s Most Popular Communities 2021
Cryptocurrency: In 2021, there were 6.6 million mentions of “crypto” on the platform. Reddit’s most-viewed crypto communities in 2021 were r/dogecoin, r/cryptocurrency, r/amcstock, r/bitcoin and r/superstonk, which saw a 917% subscriber increase year over year.
Sports: When pandemic lockdowns lifted, sports fans gathered on Reddit to discuss their favorite teams. Its most-viewed sports communities in 2021 were r/nba (basketball), r/soccer, r/nfl (American football), r/squaredcircle(wrestling) and r/mma (mixed martial arts).
Weddings: Whether it’s to love or hate them weddings always have people talking on Reddit. The most popular wedding subreddit in 2021 was r/wedding with a 200% increase in engagement. The most-viewed communities were r/weddingplanning, r/engagementrings, r/bridezillas, r/wedding and r/weddingsunder10k.
Food and Drink: In 2021, Redditors were interested in cooking at home and discussing their favorite food franchises. The most-viewed food and drink communities were r/food, r/cooking, r/keto, r/kitchenconfidential and r/starbucks.
Movies and Television: With people still at home, movies and TV were a must pastime. The most-viewed movie communities were r/movies, r/marvelstudios, r/starwars, r/moviedetails and r/dc_cinematic and most- viewed TV communities were r/marvelstudios, r/thebachelor, r/prequelmemes, r/rupaulsdragrace and r/television.
If you enjoyed this story, check out what happened on TikTok in 2021.
In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
More from In The Know: