If you feel too beholden to the whims of TikTok’s elusive FYP, here’s how to get out of the algorithmic rut.
There are lots of reasons you may want to reset your FYP. Maybe your little brother logged into your TikTok account and now you’re only seeing Backyardigans-related content. Or perhaps, your interests have changed so you want to start fresh and mix things up. Needless to say, when an algorithm is dictating what videos you’re seeing, things can get tricky.
What does FYP stand for and how does the TikTok FYP work?
The term “FYP” is an acronym for “For You” page on TikTok. The FYP is a curated selection of TikTok videos created by an algorithm. The recommendation system uses factors like language, country, device type along with your “interests.” TikTok determines your interests based on the captions, sounds and hashtags you engage with. Ultimately, it’s TikTok’s way of showing you videos they think you’ll like.
How to reset your FYP on TikTok
It only takes a few simple steps to totally revamp your TikTok FYP.
1. Tap the three dots icon on the top-right corner.
2. Scroll down to select “free up space.”
3. Hit “clear” next to the “cache” option.
4. Go to your new FYP.
5. To get the algorithm going, find the videos you don’t like.
6. Press on a video you dislike for a few seconds, then select “not interested” if you don’t want to see similar content anymore. You can also hit “more” to hide videos from the user or sound.
Once TikTok has an idea of what you don’t want, it’ll be much better at showing you what you do want to see.
How to kick start your TikTok page if you feel like you’re shadowbanned:
Shadowbanning is when a social media app, in this case, TikTok, suppresses your content (without telling you) so other users won’t see it.
To come back from a shadowban on TikTok, follow these recommendations.
1. Don’t make multiple accounts to like your own content.
2. Don’t log into the same account using multiple devices.
3. Don’t create content that violates TikTok’s strict community guidelines.
4. Do make content that is loopable and easy to understand.
5. Do follow TikTok trends.
6. Do collaborate with other creators.
7. Be patient, it takes time for the algorithm to work out all the kinks.
In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
If you liked this story, check out this article on a creepy device used to break into hotel rooms.
More from In The Know: