There’s nothing plain about this plantain recipe! Also known as “cooking bananas,” plantains are a neutral flavored starchy fruit that can do wonders in the kitchen. On this episode of In The Know: Zero Waste Kitchen, chef Adriana Urbina (@adrianaurbinap) turns the plantain into a dynamic and delicious tortilla and vegan shredded “beef” dish.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup scallions
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 ripe plantain
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- First, start making your sofrito. Heat up some oil in a pan, and then add your onion, scallions, red bell pepper, and salt and sweat down the veggies for 3-4 minutes. After the veggies have sweat down, mix in your garlic slices.
- Remove the skin from your plantain. Once you’ve removed the skin, turn it over and scrape off the white material that’s on the other side.
- Julienne the plantain skins and then add them to your veggie mixture. The plantain skins will act as your vegan shredded “beef”.
- Add the brown sugar, paprika, cumin, and half of the cilantro and let everything cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cooked, spoon it onto a tortilla and top with the remaining fresh cilantro, and enjoy!
More from In The Know: