Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
This juicy and delicious slow cooked recipe makes it super easy to have birria tacos from the comfort of your own home! Slow cooked in a rich and flavorful liquid jam-packed with herbs and spices, the meat in these tacos doesn’t mess around! Accompanied by fresh and flavorful garnishes like cilantro, avocado, and radish, this meal is sure to bring your Taco Tuesday to the next level.
- Vegetable oil
- 8 dried chiles, with seeds removed
- ½ onion, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper with adobo sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb lamb ribs
- 1 lb beef shank
- 1 lb beef loin
- Soft taco shells
- Diced avocado
- Diced onion
- Sliced radishes
- Fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, heat up the vegetable oil. Then add the dried chiles and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the chiles to a separate pot with water, and boil until soft.
- In a pressure cooker, heat up some vegetable oil and add the sliced onion, sliced tomatoes, garlic cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon stick half, and herbs and spices, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the softened chiles and their water, chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, apple cider vinegar, and water to the mixture along with the cumin and ground ginger. Then, remove the cinnamon stick.
- Puree the mixture and add the meat. Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the meat and shred with a fork.
- Place the meat in a soft taco shell with some diced avocado, diced onion, sliced radishes and cilantro.
- Use the leftover sauce as a soup and serve with any leftover meat, diced onions, sliced radishes, and cilantro.
More from In The Know: