Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
For some flavor-packed comfort food, look no further than this recipe for chicken biryani! Consisting of savory chicken and rice mixed with an array of spices, sauces, and seasonings cooked all in one pot and served with a creamy raita sauce made from yogurt, cucumber, and mint leaves, this Southeast Asian dish’s tantalizing aroma perfectly complements its delicious taste. If you’re looking to whet your palate with a one-pot-stop recipe that packs a flavorful punch, you’ll definitely want to add this chicken biryani recipe to your dinner menu.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed into 1 ½-inch pieces
- Approximately 2 ½ cup plain yogurt, divided
- ½ – 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ – 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- 1 ¼ ginger garlic paste (1-inch ginger and 4 garlic cloves, crushed)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ½ cup shredded cucumber
- Fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chili pepper, split
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch saffron soaked in ¼ cup hot milk
- 1 cup water or coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro
- Start by combining the cubed boneless and skinless chicken thighs with 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt in a bowl, followed by garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric, half a teaspoon of salt, the ginger garlic paste, and optional lemon juice. Then, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Soak a bowl of basmati rice in water for 20 minutes. Then, make the raita by combining shredded cucumber and chopped mint leaves with 2 cups of yogurt and set aside.
- Add ghee or oil to an Instant Pot, followed by a bay leaf, cardamom pods, cloves, a cinnamon stick, star anise, cumin seeds, and a split red chili pepper, then sauté on high.
- Add thin onion slices to the Instant Pot and sauté until light brown. Then, add ginger, followed by the seasoned boneless chicken, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of plain yogurt, the drained basmati rice, a pinch of saffron soaked in ¼ cup of hot milk, water, (or coconut milk), ¼ tsp salt, and 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves. Then pressure cook on high for 4 minutes and natural release for 10 minutes.
- Give everything a good mix before plating. Then, top with the raita, followed by a sprinkling of chopped cilantro, then dig in!
More from In The Know: