Welcome to In The Know Cooking: Kitchen Etc, where content creator and chef, Tway Nguyen (@twaydabae), puts viral TikTok recipes to the test. In this episode, Tway teaches us how to make vodka pasta with some tasty additions tossed in, including a homemade chili oil to turn up the heat and kick the viral dish up a notch.
Alex Hughes, Executive Producer Jordan Walker, Executive Producer Alexandra Katsoulis, Senior Producer Isabel Ashton, Producer
- 1 lb penne pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup tomato pasta
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2-3 dried chilies
- 3 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 star anise
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 oz fried shallots
- Neutral oil (Tway uses vegetable oil)
- Fresh basil
- Make the chili oil. Start by finely mincing garlic cloves, then set the minced garlic aside. Add sesame seeds, star anise, dried chilies to pan and lightly toast for 3-4 minutes.
- As your aromatics are toasting, combine chili flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, minced garlic, fried shallots and soy sauce in a bowl. Add toasted aromatics and combine.
- Heat up vegetable oil or your preferred neutral oil, and combine in a bowl with the mixed spices.
- Cook the penne pasta.
- Chop onion and garlic and fry in a pan with olive oil for 2-4 minutes. Drain the pasta, and once the onions and garlic are cooked, add tomato paste, and stir until the paste is brick red.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of vodka, then add in heavy cream and continue to stir until all ingredients are smoothly combined.
- Add pasta into sauce and top with 1-2 scoops of homemade chili oil. Toss to coat.
- Plate the pasta. Top with a little more chili oil, ground pepper, and fresh basil. Enjoy!
More from In The Know: