Making an upscale vegan brunch that’s sure to impress even the pickiest guests is easier than you think! On this episode of In The Know: Kitchen Etc, vegan cookbook author Carleigh Bodrug (@plantyou) shows how to make the simplest, most delicious vegan French toast and tops it off with a vibrant, homemade chia jam! While this perfectly sweet and savory recipe might look fancy, it can be made with just a few simple ingredients!
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 slices white bread
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Add strawberries to a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add maple syrup and continue stirring. Then, use a potato masher to crush the berries to a jam-like consistency.
- Turn off the heat and add the chia seeds, stirring them into the berries until they are well mixed.
- Pour the strawberry jam into a bowl and set it aside for at least 5 minutes to let it thicken, or refrigerate it overnight.
- While the jam sets, melt the vegan butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the white bread to the pan and sear on one side.
- Add the plant-based milk (Carleigh uses almond milk) to the pan along with the cinnamon. Allow the bread to soak up some of the milk, then flip it over and let it sear on the other side.
- Continue cooking the bread until both sides are browned and all of the milk is absorbed. If all of the milk is absorbed but the bread is not yet golden brown, feel free to add a bit more milk as it cooks.
- Add the French toast to a plate and top with the strawberry chia jam. Then, add a bit more maple syrup and cinnamon, and dig in!