Cornbread is a popular side dish that adds to any meal spread. The Southern staple is known for its texture and flavor, and it can be baked, fried, and even steamed. Oh, the possibilities! If you’re looking for a new spin on the classic side dish, give this honey and buttermilk cornbread with jalapeño chive butter a try.
What You’ll Need
- Lodge cast iron skillet
- Non-stick spray
- Mixing bowl
Honey and buttermilk cornbread
- Nonstick spray
- 1 and 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey, divided into 2 tbsp and 2 tbsp
Jalapeño chive butter
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño (about 1 jalapeño)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp flakey sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray your Lodge cast iron skillet with nonstick spray.
- Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter to the dry mixture.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, and 2 tbsp of honey to the mixture and mix thoroughly with a spatula until it makes a batter.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the sprayed Lodge cast iron skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown.
- While your cornbread is baking, prepare the jalapeño chive butter by mixing all the ingredients together with a spatula.
- Once your cornbread is ready, remove it from the oven and drizzle the remaining honey on top.
- Serve with your jalapeño chive butter and enjoy!
Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
If you liked this story, check out these best-selling kitchen shears that just went on sale.
More from In The Know: