Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
When the weather warms up, a sundress is often the first piece plucked from the closet. Why? It’s easy, effortlessly stylish and generally breezier than wearing shorts. However, no matter if you prefer mini or maxi styles, these are the five types of summer dresses you need to add to your wardrobe.
1. The White Dress
A white dress in summer? How radical! But really, there’s a reason white is so popular in the warmer months. White feels like a breath of fresh air and reflects the sun’s rays to keep you cool.
- WAYF Plaza Cutout Puff Sleeve Maxi Dress at Bloomingdale’s, $148
- Sophia Midi Dress in Seersucker Check at Madewell, $128
- Free People Valerie Sleeveless Cotton Maxi Dress at Nordstrom, $98
- Eyelet Scalloped Mini Dress at Gap, $69.95
- Days Like This Ivory Sleeveless Ruffled Mini Dress at Lulus, $59
2. The Vacation Dress
Whether you have a few trips planned or you’re heading to your local beach, a vacation dress screams, “I’m ready to have some fun!” Go for bold prints, bright colors, cut-outs and anything you might not normally wear on a regular weekday.
- Scarf Dress at ViX Paula Harmanny, $328
- Rainbow Bananas Mini Dress at FARM Rio, $165
- Maddie Babydoll Dress in Monstera Floral at Draper James, $135
- AQUA Floral Strappy Midi Dress at Bloomingdale’s, $94.40 (Orig. $118)
- Amalfi Coast Red Pleated Flutter Sleeve Mini Dress at Lulus, $79
3. The Nap Dress
Hill House Home coined the term “nap dress” as a way to describe their smocked style made for all-day wear. However, a few other brands have made similar styles as well in different lengths for wearing to brunch, the pool, for a picnic in the park and hey, maybe even for a midday nap.
- The Ellie Nap Dress at Hill House Home, $150
- AQUA Smocked Midi Dress at Bloomingdale’s, $78.40 (Orig. $98)
- French Connection Isla Smocked Poplin Flutter Sleeve Dress at Bloomingdale’s, $88
- Flutter-Sleeve Printed Tiered Smocked Midi Swing Dress at Old Navy, $49.99
- Fit & Flare Flutter-Sleeve Gingham Mini Dress at Old Navy, $39.99
4. The Date Night Dress
Any dress can be a date night dress, depending on your personal style. However, these five are a little bit sexy, a lot flirty and guaranteed head-turners. Go with a trusty slim LBD or a comfy but cute slip dress.
- Boatneck Low Back Mini Dress at Abercrombie & Fitch, $110
- alice + olivia Harmony Mini Slip Dress at Bloomingdale’s, $295
- Firenze Mag Short Dress at ViX Paula Hermanny, $228
- SKIMS Ribbed Long Slipdress at Nordstrom, $78
- Elevated Knit Halter Mini Dress at Abercrombie & Fitch, $59
5. The “It’s Too Hot to Wear Anything” Dress
You know the feeling when it’s over 80 degrees Fahrenheit and everything you put on makes you sweat? Well, these breezy cotton dresses are your best bet. Toss them on with a pair of sandals, put your hair up in a ponytail and get ready to seize the day (or at least tolerate it).
- Sleeveless Vintage Mini T-Shirt Swing Dress at Old Navy, $25 (Orig. $29.99)
- V-Neck Babydoll Mini Dress at Abercrombie & Fitch, $70
- Traveler Mini Dress at Abercrombie & Fitch, $69
- Rhiannon Ivory Lace Babydoll Dress at Lulus, $49
- Treasure & Bond Woven Favorite Slipdress at Nordstrom, $39
If you liked this article, check out this Samsonite luggage set now for 35% off.