Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
In The Know: Eats is a cooking series that showcases easy-to-make and affordable takes on the biggest food trends. From restaurant quality at-home ramen to DIY bubble tea, these are some of the most delicious recipes for all you foodies.
If you hear ramen and think of the instant noodles that come in a block, this is not that. This vegetarian ramen recipe uses fresh noodles, flavor-packed broth, chili oil and soft-boiled eggs. It’s like a flavor bomb in a bowl.
In Japan, ramen is as popular as pizza in the U.S. — most regions have their own variation of it. Traditional ramen usually contains meat, like pork belly and pork broth, so this vegetarian version is admittedly Americanized. (Although, vegetarian and vegan ramen has been gaining popularity in recent years in Tokyo!) Try it for dinner tonight, this weekend or anytime you’re craving a warm bowl of noodles.
For the broth:
- 44 ounces Brodo Vegan Seaweed and Mushroom broth
- ½ cup water
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into 2 pieces
For the eggs and noodles:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 (5-ounce) packages fresh ramen noodles
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 toasted nori sheets, cut into squares
- Toasted sesame oil
- Blank Slate Kitchen Sichuan Chili Oil
- Combine broth, water, shiitake mushrooms and ginger pieces and simmer over low heat for about eight minutes, until the mushrooms are just tender. Then, remove from heat and cover.
- To make soft boiled eggs: Fill a large saucepan with a few inches of water and place over high heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat so that the water is at a rapid simmer. Gently lower the eggs into the water one at a time, then simmer for eight minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon to an ice water bath. Peel the cooled eggs and set aside.
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook according to package instructions (about 2–4 minutes). Drain the noodles.
- Combine the soy sauce and mirin in a small bowl. Add a little of the broth, to taste.
- Discard the ginger pieces from the broth.
- Divide the noodles between four bowls. Then, ladle the hot broth over the ramen.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Top each bowl with two egg halves, scallions and nori, and drizzle with sesame and chili oils.
If you liked this recipe, check out TikTok’s mega famous ramen hack.
More from In The Know:
We tried TikTok’s “miracle” carpet cleaner
I understand why over 18,000 Amazon reviewers love this touch desk lamp
TikTok loves this metal straw that folds into a keychain — and comes with a cleaning brush
12 tech gadgets that made my life so much easier during lockdown