Traditionally featuring tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit soda, a paloma is a refreshing Mexican cocktail that’s sure to get the party going. On this episode of In The Know: Bar Master, mixologist and cocktail expert, Josué Gonzaléz (@josue.allday) makes his signature Mediterranean Dove, a paloma-inspired cocktail. (In fact, “paloma” is the Spanish word for dove!) The Mediterranean Dove features mezcal and mastiha, a traditional Greek liqueur with a sweet flavor. If you like palomas, you won’t be disappointed!
- 1.5 oz Rosalina mezcal
- 0.5 oz Kleos mastiha spirit
- 0.5 oz lime juice
- 2-4 basil leaves
- 3 oz Fever Tree grapefruit soda
- Salt (for the rim)
- Grapefruit (sliced into half-moons, for garnish)
- Take a few basil leaves, rip them up, and throw the pieces into a shaker tin.
- Add the lime juice, mastiha, and mezcal to the shaker tin.
- Dip half the rim of a highball glass in salt, using the moisture from the fresh grapefruit. Fill the glass up with ice.
- Shake the shaker tin, then top off with grapefruit soda.
- Add a half-moon slice of grapefruit to the glass.
- Pour the cocktail into the glass, then top with another basil leaf. Cheers!
More from In The Know: