Woman’s horrific reaction to getting poison ivy on her eyes goes viral

Common sense dictates that getting poison ivy on your eyes isn’t exactly a great idea.

But one morning, 17-year-old Lauren Petrozza of Newington, Connecticut shared a picture of her 21-year-old sister Emily on Twitter that will burn that lesson into your brain forever.

For reference, here’s a before photo of Emily before she suffered the horrific allergic reaction (pictured below on the left, with Lauren on the right):

And here she is after:

Emily instantly achieved internet fame, with the initial photos being retweeted thousands of times, and outlets like Buzzfeed and NBC all reporting on her story.

“40K people are laughing at my sister,” Lauren later posted.

Emily took the incident like a trooper, finding the humor in the painful situation.

“I want people to know I’m not mad at my sister for posting the picture in the first place. We always joke around with each other and neither of us ever expected it to turn out like this,” Emily told WTIC.

Emily was reportedly doing much better after taking medication for two days and could soon “actually open” her eyes.

Emily, who says she believes she got the poison ivy in her eyes by rubbing them either after fishing or taking care of feral cats, hopes that her incident serves as a lesson to others to always wash your hands after coming indoors from doing activities outside.

As for Lauren? She seemed to enjoy her and her sister’s newfound fame immensely.

If you enjoyed this story, learn about this girl’s rare allergy to water.

More from In The Know:

Kourtney Kardashian is embracing her quarantine weight gain

Instagram is loving this new, nontoxic Gen Z skincare brand

This vegan skincare line can help you fight wrinkles and redness

Revlon’s viral one-step hairdryer is a morning must-have

Listen to the latest episode of our pop culture podcast, We Should Talk: