Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Looking for an adorably delicious dessert idea? Try making homemade fortune cookies! These sweet treats are surprisingly simple to make and infinitely customizable. Best of all, they’re a great way to write little personalized notes to the guests at your next party. The future may be uncertain, but these fortune cookies are certain to be a hit!
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- Write your fortunes on a piece of paper. If you’re having trouble coming up with what to write, you can’t go wrong with cheerful messages like “today will be a great day” and “your future is sweet.” Once your fortunes are written, cut them out and set them aside.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl, then mix in canola oil, vanilla, and almond extract. Set the bowl aside for now.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Then, slowly mix in the wet ingredients, whisking until the mixture is well-combined.
- Spoon the batter onto a Silpat baking mat. Then, decorate the cookies! You can stick to the classics and add some sprinkles. Or, if you’re feeling creative, use a knife to add a few dollops of pink batter to the cookies, then use a toothpick to turn them into hearts.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. Then, remove them from the oven and use a spatula to flip the cookies over.
- Add the fortunes to the centers of the cookies, then fold them in half and press down the edges to seal them. Use the rim of a mug to form the cookies into the traditional fortune cookie shape. Then, serve them up!
More from In The Know: